Friday, July 29, 2011

The Next One about Justice

Sonofabitch.

Three months and not a word from this guy. If you were waiting, I'm sorry. If you weren't, well, I can't blame you. I mean, shit, it's been three months after all. What could possibly be the deal? As I sit shirtless waiting for Left 4 Dead 2 to update via my not-quite-instantaneous-enough broadband so I can slay zombie bitches alongside my exquisite wife, I regain perspective and instead of watching gun reviews and contemporary American philosophy videos by #Nutnfancy (albeit a worthy pastime), I aim my sights a bit higher toward self-actualization and rambling rants and complaints... That is - I blog.

Jusssstice...

When last I left you, we were talking assassination, and as we rekindle the relationship, I have an overarching idea pertaining to where I'd like this entry to go, but who knows?

I have to start with the not-surprisingly polarizing event of the Casey Anthony trial. I say polarizing but I don't know if there's anyone on the other side of the outrage. People whose opinions and thoughts I value highest seem to have been completely swept away by the molasses-thick melodrama surrounding this case. For-profit news media loves this case. These days, with beautiful High-def footage, multitudes of cutthroat journalists and prerequisite instant access, it's so easy to give the grisly details (do I get a prize for being the one-millionth asshole to enumerate them all in their full heartbreaking glory?) and then nudge the masses to sniff around to the closest suspect with a checkered past. Now we just kick back and watch the marvelously-predictable horde blow the too-recently settled dust off the torches and pitchforks, tar, feathers, nooses, shambling toward the town square.

Now I might make a guess as to what you're thinking: "You're a naive douchebag, of course she killed her daughter..."

This article is not entitled "The One about Casey Anthony Being Innocent." It's about something much larger than any single person could ever even aspire to be. As Americans, we have been blessed with the foresight of our forefathers. Thank goodness they had it in spades. They based our justice system on the idea that we are innocent until proven guilty. If those twelve jurors had convicted that woman of anything other than lying to police and abysmal parenting, the system isn't worth the paper it was written on. We live our daily lives knowing that if we have not committed a crime, then there shall be NO FEAR of being pulled out of our houses and wrongfully imprisoned, let alone executed. The Animals said "Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood..." Now, whether she is guilty or not, we have the obligation to carry out due process. This case was rushed to trial and it was built on circumstantial evidence. Those people who were (and are still) screaming for the blood of Casey Anthony have obviously lost touch with and are taking for granted the idea that although they are not on trial, they are reaping the benefits of American Justice every single day. On any given calendar square, they can drive down the street to their church that is protected by the state, no matter how backwards their rituals may be. They are allowed to assemble and protest literally any thing they feel is wrong or unjust. They can do this because they know that as long as they follow the law, they should fear no reprisal from the state.

If we convicted Casey Anthony, we re-initiate the sloping march back down the muddy path to the mass hysteria of the Salem Witch Trials and countless other instances of infamy. We live in a country that was founded on the idea of pure justice. That we should inevitably let some of the guilty go free so that the innocent will NEVER be imprisoned - that is the choice our founders made on our behalf, and I could never be more thankful for it. I am absolutely grateful for the ability to write this message in dissent. I have to admit that it is with some reticence I will compose, finish, and publish this post - and for what? For fear of persecution! But even now, I am emboldened with the sense that, No!, I can write this. The first amendment protects my right to write. I am innocent in my thoughts and deeds thus far, and I will continue. I dissent! God Damnit, I dissent. I digress.

I am struggling. With so many things, I am struggling. I feel as though the for-profit news media and inevitably 'outraged' pundits and Laura Ingrahams are taking our idea of justice from us and replacing it with the idea of revenge.

Imagine a beautiful, massive, heavy jewel that is polished yet dull, it is perfect; appearing new and nascent, but is aeons old. The translucent stone sits in a stories-deep, brightly-lit circular vault on a simple pedestal clearly built to support and cradle such a precious thing. A vault that exudes such silent reverence that inside of which no decent man would dare tread. The vault is our collective mind, the pedestal our individual intellect, the jewel - Justice. As a nation, we protect the idea of justice, and as individual jurors, we hold up the virtue of Justice.

As each American generation grows old and withers, the next is more complacent knowing there are bandits and wolves inside the vault. Corporate news media has always been pacing outside our sacred vaults, and started tiptoeing in some time ago. I feel they are stomping ever more loudly toward our jewel, brazen in their belief that we have already forgotten our most precious treasure. That they would seek to supplant Justice with the black brick of Revenge is self-evident. We (read: humans) held trials at Nuremburg and executions in Abbottabad. What changed? What the fuck changed?

In the timeless words of Robert Plant (inspired by Memphis Minnie in 1929), "If it keeps on rainin', the levee's gonna break." The rain is pouring on us from every angle, in the form of clever and divisive political and social commentary meant to divide and weaken our resolve and our principles as a nation.

Let's open up a spillway or two hundred and erase the legions of assholes that would attempt to steal the glimmering beauty of Justice! If this trend continues, I pray to whomever will listen that the good and decent people in America will soon awake with such a wrath that there will be scant a figure or mob who could stand in the way of such a virtuous ideal. That is the time when we should be blowing the thick dust off our torches and pitchforks.

Whew.

Well, a 40-minute software update has long-since passed. It's important for you to know that after writing this, I'm still able to grab a virtual shotgun and blast zombie bastards till the cows come home. I'm a normal dude. These are the thoughts that rattle in my brain. I appreciate very deeply that you've read my shit. Please just think (and comment). That's it!


Music fueling me as I wrote:

The Animals
Rush
Led Zeppelin
Punch Brothers
Jurassic 5
Flogging Molly
Aphex Twin

3 comments:

  1. So true. I've been thinking these same things, only not as eloquently. And, of course, your wit and general snazziness is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thanks for writing and sharing. You should do it more often.
    Second, so I just read this post and it's predecessor. Good stuff. I've had the chance to take in all these events for the past few months surrounded by people from different countries, cultures, and perspectives. It's pretty fascinating to get their pov on everything we do as a country.
    Third, it'd be fantastic to discuss these things, as well as hug it out, when I make it to Baton Rouge.
    Fourth and final, lovsies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, you're so dramatic:). I miss you! Second of all, I agree. As this nation grows, each new generation is more entitled than the last. I can't even imagine what the Casey Anthonys of te future have in store...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete